Saturday, September 28, 2013

I feel the need to confess!

It's Saturday, which means it's blog day.  I haven't intentionally set out to have blog updates on Saturday, it just happens that way.  The week of classes is such a blur that I couldn't even begin to fathom updating in the middle of the week.  So to the weekends it falls.  Overall I've had a successful week.  Things were tough here and there, there were a few down days, but I've rebounded quite nicely. 

I've taken to creating a list each week of what I need to do.  You might remember me posting one in last week's blog... It has REALLY helped me in staying organized and on top of everything.  Further, I'm able to make more effective use of my time.  I had to post for a class blog by Thursday (for this Monday's class), which meant I had to have the reading for that class done earlier than usual.  One of the texts was by Paulo Freire.  Freire was an educator and philosopher, and his main area of expertise involves pedagogy and the educational system.  I've read his stuff before during undergrad, so not only was it a familiar read, it felt like a throwback to days in the AED trenches at Cortland. 

Yesterday was a library and study day.  I arrived at the STH library around 11:30, and worked until it closed at 5pm.  Once the library closed, I went over to the Theo house to study and work with some classmates.  I was at Theo house until about 11:30, and throughout the entire day was able to make some good ground on two (of three) papers due in two weeks in addition to continuing St. Augustine's Confessions (only 60 pages left!) and studying for a quiz next week in Hebrew Bible (I've got this on lock down!). 

One paper I have due asks that I critically reflect upon my faith formation.  As I thought and wrote, I found myself looking back over the years to all of the people who have been influential in making me a part of who I am today.  I'm not going to name everybody because I don't want to run the risk of accidentally forgetting someone, but you all know who you are.  People from home, SUNY Cortland and the Interfaith Crew, Homer Con., East Side, Habitat, Supper Club, on and on.  My heartfelt gratitude to each and every person who has been a part of my life and faith formation.  It's brought me to where I am today and where I will go in the future.  It truly does take a village my friends. 


The other paper I've been working on involves a critical reflection of a community worship experience.  I had the joy of observing and participating in a Greek Orthodox vespers service in the beginning of September.  If you've never been into a Greek Orthodox church, I HIGHLY recommend that you pay a visit during a worship service.  The rhythmic chanting and ornate adornments make it such an exceptional experience to the senses. 

Classes this past week were very interesting.  In Introduction to the Hebrew Bible, Dr. Botta alluded to the idea that the majority of biblical scholars don't believe Genesis 1-11 actually occurred.  Rather, most scholars suggest they are myth.  Now for me personally, this wasn't a big news flash.  But it does open up a proverbial can of worms.  "If the events in Genesis 1-11 didn't happen historically, does that mean the rest of the scriptures are myth?  What does this mean for my faith?"  It is so appealing to deconstruct the theological and historical implications of biblical times and reconcile what we think we know and what we might possibly have some vague idea about but aren't really quite sure because things got lost in translation so long ago that some things are still inconclusive to this day...  Even if something didn't occur historically, does that make it any less theologically true?  If it didn't happen historically, does that make it any less relevant to us today? My personal answers would be, "no" and, "no."  It is my personal opinion that it doesn't need to have happened historically to have theological implications for our faith. 


When I was leaving for seminary, Oma told me I was going to go and make lifelong friends.  I usually tell her when she's right (don't I, Oma?), and I'm happy to once again say that she was.  It's so interesting; we're still making sense of where people moved here from and what brought them to ministry, but we connect on such a deep level because we spend all week talking about significant issues and ideas.  There is an exceptional bond that brings us together.  We all go out Thursday nights to the university pub, and we all talk ecclesiastical structures, denominational doctrine, and the divine Logos.  It's a completely different culture from what I'm used to where people say, "let's not talk about school or work while we're out."  Yet there's nothing else we'd rather be doing (except for possibly not incurring so much debt as we do so..). 

So, some of you will be seeing me next weekend.  I'm going to a wedding... I'm going to a wedding! (said in sing-song voice of course).  Corey and Ben get married on the 5th, and I can wait to celebrate and have a good time.  Looking forward to seeing some of you while I'm home.  But of course this means that this week is going to drag slowly on. Thankfully I'll have plenty of work to keep me busy!

Safety tip 101: In other unrelated news, I have become really REALLY good at crossing the street.  If there aren't cars coming, you go.  It doesn't matter if you have the walk symbol or not.  No cars = walking.  Just watch out for bicyclists.  They go pretty fast and are MUCH harder to see than big cars. 

Shout out this week to Sarah, Lauren, Laura, Lindsey, and Caroline.  Why?  Because you ladies rock and just because I can.

2 comments:

  1. 6th paragraph, last line, and I quote....."It is my personal opinion that it doesn't need to have happened historically to have theological implications for our faith." Amen sister! I had lunch with a couple of your cohorts from Homer today at the Association meeting. That would be Belinda and Vicki. They affirmed you were doing well. We all ate alot of Groton City's famous spaghetti for lunch.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I knew I had forgotten something to teach you...the art of crossing the street in areas with a population over 5,500! Glad to hear that you have learned that lesson with little damage! So glad you are coming home next weekend. Even though you will be busy, it will be great to see you for a little bit. Love you, Love your blogs!

    ReplyDelete