Thursday, October 3, 2013

Surprise! A Thursday Post!!

I have a wild hair in me, so I'm taking a break from school to present an update.  That's not entirely true... I've had a crazy week.  And because two super awesome people are getting married this weekend, I thought I would blog now to... well to be sure I got it in.  And  there's a potential bonus that you might get a blog update on Monday as well. 

So, my week went something like this:
Monday at 3am: Awake with an excruciating migraine that makes me want to rip my cranium open.  If you aren't a migraine sufferer, imagine ... well I fail to put it into words that aren't exceptionally graphic.  Just imagine it's bad.  Really bad.  Lights hurt.  Sounds hurt.  Movement hurts. 
So, I lost a day of productivity because I slept all morning.  I had one class at 2pm, and despite still being in pain only went because I was set to lead the opening ritual.  I wore sunglasses.  Inside.  I am a badass.  My opening ritual involved listening to the song, 'Climbing Katahdin' which is a wonderful instrumental piece by David Huntsinger off his album "New England by Piano."  We listened to the music twice, the first time merely going wherever the music took us.  The second time we recorded thoughts or questions.  Afterward, we discussed a bit about what we felt through the music and what questions may have risen in our minds.  All in all it went quite well.
I left just more than halfway through class and went went to sleep for about three hours.  Awoke with a bit of a fuzzy headache, but it was MUCH better than before.

Tuesday was a day.  Nothing exceptional to report.  I spent much of my time in the library working on my thesis paper for reading the world.  I had a thesis in mind, but couldn't formulate the sentence.  In other times where this has happened I would simply begin writing and my argument would sharpen.  I'm pleased that this time wasn't any different.  With a word requirement of 1200, by about word 300 I had something going.  By word 700 I had sharpened it down, and by word 1150 I was able to revise the mess of a statement into a level of coherence that the paper reflected.  It worked out perfectly!  I've a bit of revision to go, and I need to format my in-text citations, but it's a solid paper.

Wednesday I co-led the opening ritual for another class with my guitar.  Taking my school stuff and my guitar on the T is not easy, but the mini Martin makes this journey much easier.  On this particular morning I held on to the pole and the top of the guitar bag as I rode along.  At one particular spot a young woman entered the train.  She proceeded to put her behind right against the pole I was holding onto, right against my hand.  Not once, not twice, but three times.  Because my hand was only partially holding the pole as it also prevented my guitar for toppling over with each turn or stop, I couldn't move my hand.  So, I touched a complete stranger's behind for the better part of 30 minutes.  That's all I'll say about that.  If I've learned one thing on the T, (okay, I've learned MANY things on the T) it's that personal space does not exist.
I've also found that I enjoy texting my siblings when I'm on the T.  It usually helps if they respond right away, but I know this isn't always an option.  It's simply become my time to drop a line and keep in touch with them. 

Thursday is today!  I had one class this morning, which was just fine.  I'm in the library until my discussion group at 4pm, and I'll be working on any one of the three papers I have due next week.  After discussion group I'll have a Sacred Worth meeting, followed by some more library time.  Tonight I'll likely go the Pubnight for a short while, then I'll head back home to begin preparing for HOME.  Did you see what I did there..?  It's not strange to call my room at the Walker Center "home"... but it's not yet my real "Home."

That's about it for this week!


I'm looking forward to those I will see at home!

Peace,
Rachel

BONUS ROUND!  Okay, I fibbed.  I'm having a wonderful time in classes, and some of my professors come up with some pretty funny statements.  I'm going to try to include some of what I hear throughout the week here for you.

Tuesday 10.1 Dr. Neville said, "It is difficult to soar like an eagle when you're flying with turkeys."

Wednesday 10.2 Dr. Botta said, "The biblical God [pause] is quite weird."
When discussing Abraham's willingness to sacrifice Isaac, the following discussion occurred..
Dr. Botta: What would Tony Soprano do if God asked him to kill his son?
Me: He certainly wouldn't do it!
Dr. Botta: Right. And God would end up dead in an accident.

Thursday 10.3 Dr. Neville left us with these kernels of wisdom:
 In understanding St. Augustine's idea of past, present and future: "Almost seventy-four years are in my past.  I don't know how many are in my future, but I should make it through the lecture."
"Some of our bad choices are evil, most are just stupid."

2 comments:

  1. It is difficult to soar with Eagles when you're flying with turkeys. It is also difficult to soar with Eagles when you've been hooting with the owl!
    Can't wait to see you this weekend, and I, too, enjoy your texts from the T.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ...oops, should have been owls!

    ReplyDelete